The Netherlands Institute in Turkey (NIT) conducts and fosters scientific research on the cultures and societies of Turkey throughout the ages, and promotes academic cooperation between the Netherlands and Turkey. It maintains a broad network of contacts in higher education institutions in both countries and it cooperates with cultural organizations as well as the diplomatic mission of the Netherlands to Turkey. The academic disciplines that the NIT engages with include archaeology, history, art/architectural history, heritage studies, culture and media studies, urban studies, geography, sociology, anthropology and related disciplines. Information on current programs and projects of the NIT can be found here: www.nit-istanbul.org.
Together with the director, the assistant is responsible for the daily running of the organization. Duties are varied and include office management, organization and coordination of academic and educational programs (including some program development), external communication and maintenance of contacts with diverse relations of the institute in Turkey and internationally.
The assistant is expected to have:
• A graduate level university degree in a field that is broadly relevant to the scope of the NIT activities (applicants with an undergraduate degree who can demonstrate relevant work experience will also be considered);
• Preferably some work/research experience in an academic setting or in a professional organization active in a field that is relevant to the scope of the NIT activities;
• Excellent command of English and Turkish, spoken and written. Knowledge of Dutch is an advantage but not required;
• Computer skills: solid command of Office programs is required; some experience with visual and graphic design programs (e.g. Adobe suite) and CMS programs is preferred;
• Experience with office management (administration, archiving, inventory management) is preferred.
This assistant is also expected to be able to work independently and in a small team, to take initiative, have excellent social and organizational skills, and to have an interest in developing activities and programs related to the scope of the institute. As a small organization, the NIT’s programs are subject to change. The responsibilities of the director’s assistant can change accordingly.
The NIT offers:
A full-time position in accordance with Turkish regulations, and a salary that is commensurate with the position and previous work experience.
Please send an application letter and a CV via email to Ms. Güher Gürmen (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the letter, please include a statement of motivation that clearly indicates how the specific academic background and expertise of the applicant can strengthen and complement the existing programs of the institute.
Deadline for applications is June 3rd 2018. Interviews will be conducted in June. The starting date will be set in consultation with the successful applicant.
Questions regarding the position can be directed to Ms. Güher Gürmen (email@example.com).
Please click here to download the pdf.